Nashville...

...was AMAZING! I am in love with that city. My parents, Eric and I had an incredible time and learned so much. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to go there...thank you Mom and Dad for your ENCOURAGEMENT, SUPPORT and LOVE! I don't deserve it, but I am so appreciative for it all. And thank you Eric for everything, too...I love that we get to "do this" together. Love.

Wednesday, October 8th, Day 1 - Eric and I couldn't sleep because the apartment was so hot - so we were basically up at 2:00 am. We finished packing and left for LAX at 4:00 am. Met the parents in the airport and got on our way. We had a brief layover in Chicago (random, I know) and then to Nashville. Let me just say, I HATE flying. I am terrified. However, when we were making our descent into Nashville I had to look out the window. Guess what I saw? TREES! LAKES! BLUE SKY! It was breathtaking. Totally unlike Los Angeles, where all you see is traffic, concrete buildings, streets and brown smog. We landed and rushed to Hertz to get our car because we had to get to an appointment. We met with an amazing guy (whose name I will keep private) who gave feedback, advice, offered contacts, recommended things to see, etc. It was wonderful for him to take time out of his day to meet with us. After the meeting, we checked in at the hotel, wandered around Broadway St. in downtown Nashville, and ate dinner at a place called Jack's BBQ. It was close and we were hungry - nothing too special, still good. After that, we went to The Station Inn to hear some local bluegrass music. A woman named Melanie Cannon was having her CD release party. It was acoustic, and she had 8 people lined up on this tiny stage: a fiddle player (who tours with Patty Loveless), acoustic guitar player, background vocalist, Melanie, a bass player, a mandolin player, a banjo player and a dojo player. It was an interesting show, and the band was phenominal. Then back to the hotel, and bed.

Thursday, October 9th, Day 2 - We woke up, got ready, and headed over to (guy who will remain nameless') office. He took the drivers seat and gave us a tour of the city, the parks, the golf courses, the houses (including celebrities), shopping, schools...everything. We stopped for lunch at a place called Barbara's. It is this cute little old house and they serve what's called a "meat and three." You start with these ridiculously good yeast rolls with butter and honey. Already off to a good start, right? Then, there is a white board with different kinds of meat on one side (like chicken fried steak, fried chicken, ribs, etc.) and sides on the other (like fried okra, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, squash soufflee, ETC...). As you can tell, it was very healthy. ;o) So you chose a meat, 2 sides, and then a HOME MADE delicious dessert. My mom and I split a mixed berry cobbler and ice cream. I thought I was going to explode. But it was worth it. We drove around a bit more, and then we dropped him off at his office at about 3. After that, we drove by the Musicians Union so Eric could get some information about it. It sounds like if we end up there and he networks a lot, he could get a lot of professional work. That would be so cool! Then went to the hotel to nap, and then got ready for dinner (at El Rey Mexican), walked by the famous Ryman auditorium (where bluegrass began), and saw another show. We went to go see a guy named Gordy Sampson at a venue called 12th and Porter. The venue was rad. We had a few beverages, and then watched his set. It was like an hour. He is a rock singer, and has also written for some incredible artists. Eric also got to meet an awesome drummer named Chris McHugh who is one of the most popular studio drummers in Nashville, and is currently on tour with Keith Urban. They were all SO nice. After that...we went back to the hotel, and my parents went to the room. Eric and I went to the lounge / bar, had a couple of drinks and chatted. About us. About the future. About options. It was a really great talk. That's all I can really say about it at this point. :o) More about that later...wink wink. So mysterious, I know. Hehe.

Friday, October 10th, Day 3 - We woke up, got ready and started the day driving around the city. You can never see too much, or familiarize yourself with where you are. We went to see the Grand Ole Opry, and it was incredible. Then we went to a restaurant called Sunset Grill (a lil' lighter than Barbara's) to meet with a lovely girl, Jenn. She was SO nice. We had been referred to her by our music attourney. He recommend we meet her because she "did it the hard way, and on her own" too. She's been there 2 years, and is making huge waves. Also, she's from USC. 'Nuff said. I was sincerely impressed, and humbled. Not only is she extraordinarily talented, she's super cute and very friendly. She offered tons of helpful advice, and it's good to know that if Eric and I head back there, we already have a friend. I think she's a doll, and I hope I get the chance to write with her. If I get the okay from her, I'll post a link to her MySpace page - she's really good. Then my Dad, Mom, Eric and I drove around some more, shopped a bit (I got a shirt that says "Nashville is the new LA"), had happy hour at a pub (I forget the name) and talked about options and ideas and had some fun, and then had dinner at this cute place called Cabana. So Yum! Then we headed to the famous Bluebird Cafe. I had no idea it was a) so popular b) so tiny! We didn't have reservations (because we didn't know we needed them) but luckily they squeezed us in. We sat in the back by the hostess stand...but there wasn't a bad seat in the house. It was that small and intimate. The Bluebird is famous for having something called "In the Round" - we were SO lucky and got to see 4 amazing songwriters named Dave Berg (writes for Keith Urban, Reba, Rodney Atkins, Emerson Drive, Blake Shelton, etc), Craig Carothers (writes for Trisha Yearwood, Peter Paul and Mary, etc) , Tony Arata (most famous for writing Garth Brooks' The Dance), and Don Henry (for Faith Hill, Kathy Mattea, Lonestar etc). It was a little bit longer than a 2 hour show, but I could have stayed until the next night. It was...there are no words. They went in a circle (hence "in the round"), told jokes, told stories, tested new songs, and played classics. I actually got really emotional. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. I loved it. Some of the one's I can remember titles to are: "BFD" - "S'all Good" - "Scanectity" - "Stupid Boy" - "That's How Easy Goes" - "The Dance" - "The River Knows" - and I'll try to think of more. After that, we went back to the hotel and indulged in a Gigi Cupcake (little famous bakery in Nashville). Then bed...yes, right after a cupcake.

Saturday, October 11th, Day 4 - My Dad left at 6 AM to catch a flight back to LA for the USC game. Eric, Mom and I woke up, got ready and drove around to browse through neighborhoods, for fun and in case we move there eventually. We picked a general area that we liked the best, very cute. Then at about 12 noon we went to Sam's - a local sportsbar with about 20 to 30 TV's to watch some football. By noon, it was already packed. Vanderbilt (who was 5-0, but lost that day) played at 1:30 and SC started at 2:30. We got a great table, got some drinks and apps, more apps and lunch, talked, met some really great people, and we ended up winning! We were there until 5:30ish. Yeah, it was a long time but really fun. After that, we shopped briefly, and then drove to another venue called 3rd and Linsley to see a band called Pat Buchannan. They were a little older, and they ROCKED! They sounded like The Beatles (even covered 2 songs) and it was a great show! We headed back to the hotel - and decided to walk to Broadway St. to get some ice cream. YUM! Then Eric and I stopped in the jacuzzi & pool, and went to bed!

Sunday, October 12, Day 5 - Last day. Boo. Woke up, packed, got ready. We went to Panera and had a little breakfast and then headed to the East side of Nashville to check it out. Let's just say we won't be living there if we move. :o) Then we headed to the airport, and had a little time to kill. Mom did crosswords, Eric did Sudoku, and I...rested. Haha! The Colts game was playing in the airport too, so Eric was stoked he could watch a little. Then we left...layover in Kansas (SCARIEST FLIGHT, I actually cried) and then back to LAX. My Dad picked us up - and then we hugged and separated. I just have to say this. My parents are fricking awesome. I can't believe how lucky I am. They're so much fun, and are just the best. Period. Then Eric and I drove to Bubba Gump's in Universal City Walk to meet his awesome parents for din din. We told them all about the trip, and hung out...it was so nice to see them. They showed pictures of Kadence and Carter (Eric's niece and nephew) who are SO cute...and it was just really fun. We made plans with them for next weekend, and then we drove home...relaxed...watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall (or 3/4's of it)...and CRASHED! It was a BUSY 5 days...more later...and hopefully I'll figure out how to post pics! haha...XOXO, Kait


Nashville is one of the greatest places for the best songwriters in the world. It's been fantastic to live there and to raise our family there. It's a great town. ~ Faith Hill

Comments

chayna rae said…
jeeeeeeeeeealous! if you guys move, can you pack me in your suitcase please?
Kaitlyn said…
Yes, done and done. :o) There will be plenty of room in the U-Haul. haha! You and B will have to come visit. It's a must.
Anonymous said…
Yes, I'm with Chayna....It's a great city! And, you're welcome! We had a fantastic time too. By the way, I think the music in the round night at the Bluebird Cafe was so unique and one of my favorite musical nights ever.
Anonymous said…
Hey There! I came accross your blog randomly and was so blown away that you had nearly the IDENTICAL experience that weekend I did!....I'm from Cleveland looking to move to Nasvhille in the next month or so and I was at the bluebird on Friday night for "in the round" sitting in the back with my parents...and also at 3rd and Lindsley...I know the one guy in that band...he's the top session guitarist in Nasvhille...his name is Tom Bukovac..google him....I'm trying to network and meet as many new people as possible that are looking to move there and currently living there....so maybe i'll hear from you! I'd love to hear any music you have online...I'm a singer/songwriter/performer and producer also...check out one of my latest songs at...

www.myspace.com/danreising

Best Wishes!
Daniel James Reising

Popular Posts