Post-Doc Appt and Glucose Testing

I started the appointment with the usual...restroom stop, checking my heart rate and such, and stepping on the dreaded scale.  I was right.  I have put on 14 freakin' pounds since my first appointment.  Before I stepped on the scale, I told the nurse (who is such a sweet girl) I had been having major anxiety.  She checked my heart rate / pulse  and was like, "Oh man, you're right.  Your heart is racing.  I guess you are having anxiety...just relax.  It's 14 total, but you hold it well.  I can't tell..."  Uh-huh...sure.    

I waited for Dr. Redden, who came in all smiles!  She is fabulous...seriously.  (She is 1 month ahead of me, looks amazing, and so happy!!!)  She hugged me, and told me that everything was looking good so far.  

She measured my tummy, and we heard Cooper's heartbeat - 160bpm.  She told me that she thinks he is about 2 pounds right now, so "a big boy."  Haha!  Oh Lord, help me.  

We talked about weight, and she said that everyone is different, and I can still stay within the 25-35 pound range.  Just to be mindful (like I am currently being) of what I eat, drink and to keep exercising.  I told her I work out 3-4 times a week, walk my dogs daily, and have been fairly good with meals - eating smaller meals more frequently instead of 3 big meals, etc.  She asked about drinks - which for me has been WATER with an occasional Coke Zero.  That's it!  (If I am feelin' fancy at a restaurant, I MIGHT get a cranberry juice.  But I think that's been like, twice.)  She assured me I am doing well and as long as I am being healthy, it's okay.  She said sometimes the placenta weighs a lot, sometimes days are heavier than others, etc...so not to worry.  Clearly, I am worried, but it was nice to hear.  I just have to be extra careful since we have visitors coming - and we'll be eating out a lot.  Dr. Redden warned me that most meals at restaurants have more than your daily allowance of calories in one meal.  I will be ordering well, and boxing up at least half.  Phew.  Okay, done with that topic.  

Then we went over Coop's ultrasound report from last time:  Everything looked normal.  YAY COOP!

We discussed a few other things like how I have to take Rogam (or is it a shot?) at the next appointment since Eric's and my blood types aren't the same, the Glucose test results would be in in a few days, do we want to circumcise the baby after birth, and have we started interviewing / or have we picked our baby's primary care doctor..?  And...a few other top secret things, lol.  So, since Eric didn't come to this appointment, we will chat about a few things over the coming weeks.  Lots to think about, and plan for - that's for sure.  

She hugged me g'bye and was as darling as ever.  While I am EXTREMELY happy for her baby joy, I am a little sad that she will likely not be the doctor delivering baby Cooper.  I adore her.  

Anyway, then I headed over to the Glucose Test at the Lab.  Man I hate needles and giving blood.  Yuck.  But I did fine, and gave 4 vials.  They'll test all the normal stuff, for HIV (recommended-but I know I am safe!) and she wanted to test my thyroid because of my heart palpitations - that yes, I am still having...so weird.  It is affecting my hearing as well.    

Results comin' soon.  I hope I pass the glucose test so I don't have to go back for the 3 hour one.  Fingers crossed! :)     

Comments

Amanda said…
I've gained 10 lbs total, so I'm not far behind! And I agree with your doc.. You certainly don't look like you're gaining weight, other than the belly! You look cute. And your belly IS decently bigger than mine, even though you're only a week ahead (I must admit, I'm a little jealous!! Lol) but I guess they're right when they say every pregnancy is different!

How was the glucose test? Was it the one where you drink the sweet stuff?

Popular Posts