Dumb Dilemma

What a dumb dilemma I've been having with myself.  I fully acknowledge that what I am about to ask is ridiculous, but let me have this, okay?   
 
What's my dilemma, you ask?  Brunette,or stay Blonde??? 
 
Here's the deal:  As a new mom, it's hard to find time for yourself.  Sincerely, I would rather wake up, put on sweats, and play with Cooper than take a moment and try to make myself up for the day.  There isn't really time for that, anyway.  Being a mom (and ya know, a wife) is very selfless and it's common that the last person you take care of is yourself.  It is by far the coolest gig I've ever had, so truly...I'm not complaining.  That said, I don't have the time to treat / take care of myself the way I used to.  I don't really treat myself to mani/pedi's anymore.  I shop for diapers, groceries, and house stuff, instead of jeans, purses, and accessories.  I don't remember the last time I purchased and adequately put on make-up (instead it's a total haphazard sh*t show that ends up looking like I did my make up in 5 minutes, in the dark, at 5:00 AM right before baby boy wakes up...which I probably did).  Ahhh, how times have changed (for the better, obvi).  What I do make time for, when I can, is a hair appointment.
 
I have an appointment with the most fabulous hair stylist in Nashville on the 15th.  I've always wanted to try being a brunette but I am a total chicken.  Instead of just diving in, I dip my toe in the shallow end and have gone a few shades darker than I am, but ultimately end up hating it because it washes me out.  I always end up back where I started.  Don't get me wrong, I like being blonde - love it, in fact.  I feel like it matches my personality and brightens my face.  That said, there are just a few reasons that keep nudging me closer to the edge of the brunette diving board, making me wanna jump in the deep end. 
 
1.  Being and maintaining blonde is freaking expensive.  I can really only afford to go once every 3 months, which isn't often enough if I don't want to look like a hot mess.   
2.  It's time consuming when I have an appointment.  At least 3-4 hours.  Sheesh.  Not saying it would be any different if I went brunette...but, ya know. 
And most irritating of all...
3.  After I get my hair colored, about a week later it looks like I am wearing a brown headband when I pull my hair back...can you say ROOTS?  They're evil.  Ugh.
 
So I was all set to go until I emailed two girlfriends who are super hot blondies that tried the brunette thing.  I have to say, both of them would look amazing with a shaved head, dressed in a brown sack, so it's not really fair - but I wanted their opinions on how it made them feel, and if they liked the change or regretted it.  Here's what they had to say:
 
"People treated me differently.  I didn't get noticed as much, but some people took me more seriously.  It was an interesting social experiment, if nothing else."
 
"I regretted it.  I thought I looked good until I looked at photos and tried on clothes...nothing looked good." 
 
So with a week before my appointment, I have no idea what I want to do.  Thoughts?
 
Stay a blonde, or try *this* shade of brown (my head with Jessica Biel's hair - my hair won't look nearly as glamorous ever, but you get the picture)... 
 
 
 
     

Comments

Tiffany said…
Stay blonde! Being a new mom you defintely don't give time to yourself. This could be your treat to yourself. Us mom's need to remember that we need to make our selves happy too (not that we aren't with our kids). But it is nice to have a little me time and feel good about ourselves at the same time. Not that there is anything wrong with brunette. But, I say stick with what makes you happy. I have gone from blonde to brunette and now back to blonde. Not only do I think I look better blonde, but my husband prefers it too. So I save my pennies so I can get it done every 2-3 months as well, because you are right, it is expensive, but always nice to treat ourselves every couple of months!

Popular Posts